the p0014 trouble code appears in your engine control unit’s fault memory when there is a problem with your camshaft timing or variable camshaft timing system.
many things can cause this, and in this article, you will find everything you have to know about the p0014 trouble code.
code p0014 definition
camshaft position b – timing over-advanced or system performance (bank 1)
what does the p0014 code mean?
the p0014 means that the camshaft position sensors recognized a faulty camshaft timing on camshaft b on bank 1.
in most cases, it means that there is a problem with your variable camshaft timing control, but it can also mean that there is a problem with the camshaft timing because of a faulty camshaft timing caused by a bad timing chain or timing belt.
p0014 trouble code symptoms
the most common symptom when it comes to the p0014 trouble code is engine performance problems like hard starting, rough acceleration, or a stalling engine. you will likely experience a check engine light on your dashboard also.
- check engine light
- hard starting
- rough acceleration
- performance issues
- stalling engine
causes of the p0014 code
the most common cause of the p0014 is a faulty vct or vvt valve solenoid, which controls the camshaft timing adjustment. it can also be caused by a faulty camshaft position sensor or a faulty timing chain or belt tensioner.
- incorrect camshaft timing
- faulty camshaft timing control valve solenoid
- oil lines clogged to vvt or similar variable camshaft timing system.
- failed valve control timing system unit (vvt or vct, for example)
- damaged wirings
- low oil pressure
- a faulty camshaft position sensor
how serious is the p0014 code?
very serious – the p0014 code can mean that there is something seriously wrong with your timing belt or timing chain. this may cause the pistons to hit the valves if something is wrong with the timing belt or timing chain, which will be very costly.
it is strongly recommended to fix the problem as soon as possible and not drive your vehicle when the p0014 code appears.
what repairs can fix the p0014 code?
- replace camshaft timing control valve solenoid
- repair wirings to camshaft timing control valve solenoid
- clean oil lines to vct or vvt system.
- replace valve control unit (vvt or vct, for example)
- replace timing belt or timing chain
- replace camshaft position sensor
common p0014 diagnosis mistakes
the most common p0014 diagnosis mistake is starting with the camshaft position sensor. there is rarely a problem with the camshaft position sensor when it comes to the p0014 code.
the most common problem with the p0114 is a faulty vvt or vct system, which controls the camshaft system’s timing.
recommended tools for diagnosis
how to diagnose the p0014 trouble code
- connect an obd2 scanner and look for any related trouble codes that could cause the p0014 code.
- check your engine oil level and make sure it is good. if it is low, refill and delete the code and try again.
- check your service history manual and check through the oil filling cap to see if you can see a lot of sludge inside the engine. if there is a lot of sludge, there is a risk that the engine oil changes are not done correctly and that your valve timing control valve’s oil passages are blocked.
- check the function of the vvt or vct valve solenoid with the help of your diagnostic scanner. try the output test to see if the vct valve solenoid moves the engine timing or not. you can also try it with 12v+ and ground.
- if easily accessed, remove the vct control valve solenoid and clean the oil passages with compressed air or similar.
- check the engine camshaft timing manually. check your repair manual of how to do it in your engine. if faulty, you need to take the timing belt or chain apart and inspect for damages.
- check the camshaft position sensor to make sure it gives the right signal.
estimated cost of repair
these are some common repairs that can be related to the p0014 code. the cost includes parts and labor costs but does not include the diagnosis costs.
- vvt or vct control valve cleaning – 0$
- variable camshaft timing control solenoid – 200$ to 500$
- vvt or vct control unit replacement 500$ to 1500$
- timing chain or timing chain replacement 600$ to 3000$