the p0336 gets stored in the engine control module’s trouble code memory when there is a problem with the signal to the crankshaft position sensor.
there could be many reasons for this, and in this article, we will teach you everything you have to know about the p0336 trouble code.
code p0336 definition
crankshaft position sensor “a” circuit range/performance
what does the p0336 code mean?
the p0336 trouble code indicates that there is a problem with the signal from the crankshaft position sensor to the engine control unit. this can either be an electrical problem with the sensor or a mechanical issue with the reluctor ring from which the crankshaft position sensor reads the position.
p0336 trouble code symptoms
the most common problems you might notice because of the p0336 code are difficulty starting the engine, erratic acceleration, and sudden engine stall. in most cases, you may also notice a check engine light on your dashboard.
here are some other signs you may notice:
- check engine light comes on.
- difficulty in starting the engine (hard start)
- erratic acceleration
- the engine suddenly dies and does not start.
- engine misfires
causes of the p0336 code
the most common causes of the p0336 code are a faulty crankshaft position sensor, faulty wirings to the sensor, or a broken reluctor ring.
here are some more possible causes.
- a faulty crankshaft position sensor
- bad crankshaft sensor connector plug
- broken crankshaft reluctor ring
- crankshaft sensor wiring is misrouted near high voltage spark plug cables.
- loose or improperly installed crankshaft reluctor ring
- open wiring in crankshaft position sensor circuit
- damaged engine control management (ecm) system
how serious is the p0336 code?
very serious – if the crankshaft position sensor stops reading the signal from the crankshaft completely, the engine will die, and you may be stranded after the road at an inappropriate place.
you will often find it difficult to start your engine, but it may also die completely without starting again until the problem is fixed.
what repairs can fix the p0336 code?
- replace the faulty crankshaft sensor
- inspect and fix the broken wires to the crankshaft sensor
- relocate the crankshaft sensor wirings
- inspect connector plugs to the crankshaft sensor for corrosion
- replacement of engine control unit
common p0336 diagnosis mistakes
the most common diagnosis mistake of the p0336 code is to think that there is a problem with the camshaft timing. it could be a problem with the camshaft timing in some super rare cases, but most often, there is a problem with the sensor itself or a reading problem from the crankshaft.
another common mistake is to replace the crankshaft position sensor without checking the wirings to it.
recommended tools for diagnosis
how to diagnose the p0336 trouble code
there are some ways you can diagnose the p0336 code easily. however, this guide is made for professionals and may require some special tools to follow.
- connect your obd2 scanner and check for other related trouble codes. follow procedures if you find any.
- check the wirings and connectors to the crankshaft sensor for any damages or corrosion.
- ensure the wirings to the crankshaft position sensor are not misrouted near any high voltage spark plug cable.
- obtain a resistance check diagram for the crankshaft position sensor of your vehicle. replace the sensor is faulty.
- remove the crankshaft position sensor and check the reluctor ring on the crankshaft for any damages. spin the engine all the way around to make sure it is 100% functional.
- connect everything back together and measure the signals from the crankshaft position sensor from the engine control unit’s plug. replace wirings if a faulty signal is recognized.
estimated cost of repair
here are some estimated repair costs for some similar problems related to the p0335 code. the prices include part cost and labor cost but do not include diagnosis costs.
- crankshaft position sensor replacement – 40$ to 140$
- crankshaft position sensor wiring repair – 50$ to 150$
- crankshaft reluctor ring replacement – 500$ to 2000$